Sunday 1 April 2012

Montrave Hunter Trials - 1st xc of the year :D

Hi all

My friend Helen and I decided to head up to Montrave for their hunter trials yesterday.

Anyway after heading up to the stables I found a very dirty hoss but happy that it wasn't mine!

He he he!

After much scrubbing and putting blank studs in, we loaded up and headed off. Thank's to Helen's hubby for driving

What a lovely day it was! the sun was shining when we arrived and after walking the course, the ground felt good - didn't even bother studding up.

Threw the tack on Jack and headed out to warm up - they had kindly made one of the warm up jumps a replica of the first fence which is nice to get them underway when you start.

Jack was a bit worried about my number bib, I think I'll start taking blank paper and marker pen with me to use my own bib in future, the one they provided was a nice cloth bib but the wind caught it and it flapped (J does not like flapping!)

Once warmed up, we headed over and stood at the start - had a nice chat with the starting crew then we were off!

There were 22 fences in my class, the video below shows the first 4 fences. I would say in my class fence 6ab was the most tricky, as it was a drop to a skinny whiskey barrel.

I was determined to get over it so I don't think it looked pretty however it wasn't caught on camera so its fine!
Once over that there was a nice galloping section down and back up a hill, both my horse and Helen's boy went flat out - think they enjoyed that bit , we then had a downhill slope to a double, off to the right over a log fence and on to helsinki steps and over a house. The house was the only thing Jack partially looked but he still jumped it so I can't complain

The water had a drop in, which is the first time I have asked Jack to do this. decided to bring him back to a trot, he had a look but kept going (notice my pony club kicking for encouragement on the vid!)
by this point it was just a few lovely fences to home, I am pleased to say I noticed the finish line was in an odd place so made sure I crossed it - I think some people didn't and either doubled back wasting time or may have been eliminated.

Vid: http://youtu.be/F9a6TYnEE3U

so to finish the day, J came 5th - we won a matchy rosette and a packet of Polos!



Heading off to Eden Valley in a couple of weeks to do the BE90, I think the course yesterday was probably more like a BE100 so hopefully he should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment